Essential FunctionsEarly Literacy Instruction and Assessment
● Conduct one-on-one or small group tutoring sessions with students using scripted literacy materials provided by Minnesota Reading Corps.
● Assist children to improve their reading skills and abilities to reach grade level expectations.
● Develop and maintain a weekly tutoring schedule allowing for approximately 10 – 15 kindergarten students to receive 20 minutes of small group instruction and 20 minutes of paired or one-on-one instruction each day using early literacy interventions.
● Supplement the kindergarten tutoring schedule by providing daily 20-minute one-on-one tutoring sessions with 1st – 3rd grade students using prescribed literacy interventions.
● Provide opportunities for family literacy involvement for Minnesota Reading Corps students including implementing the Minnesota Reading Corps family engagement “Read at Home” literacy intervention (RAH! RAH! RAH!) and “Talk, Read, Write” (TRW).
● Identify students who qualify to receive Minnesota Reading Corps tutoring services based on a Minnesota Reading Corps designed assessment and direction from the Internal Coach and Master Coach.
● Assess, with a high level of accuracy, students’ continual progress through progress monitoring and benchmarking.
● Record student and program data completely and accurately in an online database on a weekly basis; maintain confidentiality of all student data.
● Regularly review student data with Internal Coach and Master Coach to gauge the effectiveness of the literacy intervention being used and determine if a change in strategy is necessary.Communication
● Communicate with students in an age and developmentally appropriate way.
● Act on constructive feedback provided by Internal and Master Coach and Program Staff.
● Build professional relationships and communicate regularly with school staff, internal and master coaches and Program Staff to maintain good communication and ensure the integrity of the program.
● Communicate effectively with Reading Corps staff and site personnel.
● Collaborate with the Kindergarten Lead Teacher(s) to facilitate small group literacy instruction.Attendance
● Regular, timely attendance during school hours Monday-Friday, along with before/after school hours as scheduled.
● Commitment to the entire term(s) of service, including making regular and adequate progress toward the minimum total service hours required by the Member Service Agreement.
● Attend all required Reading Corps-sponsored training sessions, meetings, and coaching sessions, including Professional Learning Groups (PLGs); travel as necessary. Secondary Functions
● Perform assignments and/or duties as assigned by Internal Coach, Master Coach, or Program Manager, excluding activities that would displace a staff member.
● Represent Reading Corps at site-sponsored activities, meetings, and other activities (e.g., family night) and provide education about the Reading Corps and general literacy awareness.
● Actively participate in service projects and commemorating days such as Martin Luther King, Jr. Day (as applicable). These may include evening and/or weekend hours.
● Be an ambassador of our program by submitting Great Stories and participating in outreach activities.